ConnectionsWhen you have found all the gear to start your own recording studio, it needs to be connected in the right way, which is actually quite simple. Here you will find some extra info on all the connectors you will probably come across.

Try to connect all to a secure mains power connector with an on/off switch. This way you can switch all gear on and off in one step. At the end of the day, do switch it off, you never know when a thunderstorm hits the area in the night and blows up your gear.

Note: Disconnect your computer from the Internet. You only need to connect if you want to find and download some software. Windows 10 is always doing updates in the background that will really slow down your computer during recording, so disconnecting from the network is the way to go.

XLR cable

XLRThis cable is used for connecting your microphone to the audio interface and for connecting your audio interface to the active Nearfiled monitors.
The left is called the MALE connector, the right one is called the FEMALE connector. The female end goes in the microphone. It also has a lock, so you have to press the lock when you want to remove the cable from the microphone. Don't forget to put on phantom power of your interface when you work with studio microphones.


USB (1)


This connector is used in the back of your Audio Interface and also on you the MIDI controler keyboard. The other end (see below) will go into your computer or the USB hub. If your MIDI controller keyboard is connected to the audio interface with a MIDI cable, you do not need to connect it through USB.



USB (2)


This USB connector goes in your computer or in your USB hub.






This cable is used to connect the MIDI OUT of your controller keyboard to the MIDI IN of your audio interface. Both connectors are the same. Note: You do NOT need the MIDI cable if you use the USB of your controler keyboard to send MIDI to the computer.



TS Jacks

TS Jack stereo

TS stands for Tip-Sleeve because these plugs have a tip and a sleeve to send mono audio information. These two plugs are used to send Left (white) and Right (red) audio to another source. When your audio interface or active monitors have no XLR but jack outputs, you can use these cables to connect. Right is always Red (R).



TRS Jack - Headphone

TRS jack

TRS stands for Tip-Ring-Sleeve. You will find this at the end of your headphone cable. The Tip is the left channel, the Ring is the right channel and the Sleeve is the ground. You will find the same connection for the smaller version below.



TRS mini jack

mini stereojack

This is the same connection as the one above, but only smaller. You will find these on your headset.





RCA stereo

These connectors are sometimes used to connect audio out (left and right) of an audio interface to the input of another device like active monitors. It is best to use XLR or Jack. The Red one is the Right channel (R).




AudioInterface back


Here you see all connections again on the back of my audio interface.






Please consider this...

All information you find on our website and Youtube channel is free for you to use and we want to keep it free.
By donating you give us the opportunity to creat many more free courses, tutorials and reviews of great tools.

If you want to donate more (or less) you can always change the amount. Thanks in advance..