One important thing to know is, you need a computer that can be dedicated solely to recording your audio. Running other applications like video games or any other software might cause problems with your audio software and make the system unstable.
If you are buying a computer or laptop, check out the specs below. These specs will get you started making music.
- 64 bit processor
- i5 or higher processor
- 8 or 16 GB internal memory
- Any graphical card
- 1 TB internal hard disk (or 128 GB SSD disk & 1 TB hard disk)
- 1 TB external backup disk
- 5 USB connectors (or an external USB hub) for connecting your audio interface, musical keyboard, mouse, external backup disk and memory stick.
- 27 inch screen for PC or a laptop with 17 inch screen
Additionally you can buy:
- Wireless mouse
- Power socket that can be switched on and off
- Extra 27 inch screen for your laptop
- Disconnect your computer from the internet during recording. Windows computer will always download updates in the background which makes your computer slow and sound will stutter.
- Do regular updates of your computer on days or times you are not recording or mixing. Be sure your computer is ready for recording at all times.
- Switch of all your power when you are away. A thunderstorm can ruin your gear.
- Article: MAC vs PC, which is best for music production?
- Article: Top 10 best computers for music production
- Article: Macbook getting too hot?
- Amazon.com: 17 inch laptops
BUY US A COFFEE
Please consider supporting our effort to create free tutorials and reviews.
We love to drink a nice cup of coffee during our work, so we would be very happy if you buy us one.
If you want to donate more (or less) you can always change the amount. Thanks in advance.